Ascend Educational Fund awards scholarships ranging from $2,500 to $20,000 to immigrant students and children of immigrants who are graduating from a New York City high school to attend public or private colleges and universities, regardless of ethnicity, national origin, or immigration status.
- Must be born outside the United States or have two parents born outside the United States
- Must be a graduating senior at a high school in the five boroughs of New York City
- Must enroll full-time at an accredited public or private college or university in 2018-2019
- Completed and signed application form
- Official high school transcript
- Copy of SAT or ACT score report
- Two letters of recommendation
- Two essays
Selection Criteria and Process
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on qualities traditionally valued and demonstrated by the immigrant community: hard work, resourcefulness, perseverance in the face of adversity, academic achievement, leadership, and commitment to one’s community. A committee will review applications and select a group of finalists for interviews.
- November 1, 2017 – Application opens online
- February 2, 2018 – Online scholarship application closes
- May 7, 2018 – Finalists Selected & Notified
- May 19-20, 2018 – Final Interviews
Applications must be submitted by the Friday, February 2, 2018 11:59 PM EST deadline.
Scholarships will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s educational institution in equal installments over a two or four year period, depending on the type of institution. Failure to comply with the following conditions may result in the suspension or revocation of scholarship awards:
- Enroll full-time at an accredited public or private college or university
- Remain in good standing and maintain a 2.5 grade point average
- Submit progress reports to Ascend Educational Fund every semester
- Participate in mentoring provided by Ascend Educational Fund
Questions can be directed to email@example.com